Stay Safe When Shopping Online
- Financial Security
Whether you are a frequent or occasional online shopper, consider these tips to safeguard your personal information.
- Make sure the website starts with https:// and has the lock symbol, often in the address bar, to ensure it is a secure site.
- Check transactions more closely than usual after any recent online purchases.
- Always opt out of saving your credit card information when making a transaction.
- If you have the option, choose to buy from the retailer’s mobile app, rather than their website.
- Always try to use a credit card instead of a debit card
- Avoid clicking on unknown hyperlinks in emails, even if they are from the retailer you are shopping with.
- Don’t use public wifi, as it can be easily compromised.
- Change your password regularly for all online accounts, and always make it a strong one.
- You should never be asked for, or give away, something as personal as a social security number when you are shopping online.
Don’t forget! Each year – you can check your credit report for free at annualcreditreport.com. There is also an option to pay a small fee and get additional information, such as your credit score.